onagadori phoenix cross huh?

isaacearlg

Songster
10 Years
May 11, 2009
Houston,TX
i called a guy who says he has bantam phoenix but he says they are onagadori decendents.he said that this is where there blood came from

back in 1930's there was a big show and someone out of the country had an onagadori on display before they shipped him back the chicken had his feathers cut off and glued to a similar phoenix so the onagadori was breed with phoenix for generations and he now has the bloodline.

is $45 plus shipping worth it for a dozen eggs or is this most likely not worth even dealing with

no. no photos the mans old and hard of hearing im tempted to spend the money because i cant find bantam golden pheonix anywhere else so far

I guess it depends on the price...is that worth it to you? I dont know what they go for......

I dont know that I would want to deal with someone who took a birds feathers and sent home the wrong bird...and stole the good one...

Is that a real story? Can you do that?

Last edited:
Have you tried Tommys pet Paradise from San diego? He has pure bloodlines of many exotics. very good business man, trustworthy, and a member of this Forum. It might be worth it to check him out first if you are unsure of this guy.

the man who sells them didnt switch out the birds thats how the bloodline came into the us he just has the decendants. he did mention the feathers being between 2-4 feet long i cant remember.

Quote:
That's rather short for true Onagadori....

he says that there on the ground running around so he doesnt know the real length but im very tempted to buy

Quote:
That's rather short for true Onagadori....

But if I understand this thread correctly (the language used is hard to understand), we are talking bantam phoenix, not true onagadori (just that they were developed from onagadori).

Not a breed I have (although I have a bird who is a bantam golden phoenix X), but I would expect that from quality stock the price is probably reasonable. Check eggbid to see if there are any phoenix eggs (or even started or adult birds) to get an idea of the going rate. Do realize that some auctions end up with prices that are abberations, but most do not. If there are several listings, it will give you a better picture.

Correct me if I`m wrong and chances are that I am, but in order to have maintained the original ornigadori`s blood from the 1930`s, wouldn`t the birds have had to been bred continuously back to eachother, mothers/sons,brothers/sisters, etc.? If bred out to other non related birds, wouldn`t the original bloodline have been lost pretty much after 70ish years?

Back
Top Bottom