1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Once a mean roo, always a mean roo?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nursemeh, Dec 4, 2009.

1. nursemeh

nursemeh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Conroe, Texas
    Chew593's story about her awful roo attack has gotten me wondering.

Here is my wonder, My Roo is 51/2 months. He has been eating out of our hands, free ranging in the yard with the 3 hens, around my children almost daily his entire life.

After being docile, friendly, he just THIS WEEK starting acting aggressive, esp to strangers coming in the yard. He's hasnt attacked, but hes postured agressively and "come at me" fast, but I've kicked him, showed him who's boss...

Here is my question: is he destined to be aggressive, since he's already acting up at this young age?

Is it Once a mean roo Always a mean roo?

I am so frustrated and in denial, just like I was when 2 of our pullets starting crowing a few months back ;-)

Anyway, we rehomed one of the roos and now we have this RIR Roo and 3 hens remaining.

Is there any chance with early intervention that we can keep him easygoing...or will he be roo stew too?

Mary

2. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    He's doing his job and that's protecting his ladies.I only had one case of a mean roo become nice and that was after I showed him who's boss but a quick swift of my boot when he tried coming at me.You will need to make the decision but with kids I would strongly recommend you rehome him and not as a pet but a stew bird.My son had got attacked and nearly got his eye so PLEASE PLEASE watch your children and don't let them go out by themselves if he's able to get at them.Good luck!

3. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    You need to be especially careful because of the children.

I doted on my roo and I think it confused him. He attacked me and I kicked him (not too hard, but enough to surprise him) and chased him around the yard. Now I chase him when he gets too close, No more affection, hand feeding, special treats. He does a great job standing at attention and watching out for the girls, so I hope it works out. He is a working rooster, not my pet anymore.

But it is just me and my husband. If there were kids involved, I think the roo would be a goner. (Sorry.) I'd get a new one in the spring and start over, and never treat him like a pet.

Roosters have a lot of testosterone -- it is in their nature to be fierce, I think.

4. nursemeh

nursemeh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Conroe, Texas
    thanks for the thoughts and advice.

He has responded wonderfully to my quick(boot) action, he now takes a wide berth when I am around. I also go out with the kids and he stears clear.
    We are being very vigilant. His spurs are growing more everyday and if he makes one more aggressive move I have decided to re-home him.

I hope it works out that we can keep him. I love giving him and the hens free range time, he keeps such a great watch out over them. I almost woulnd't want to free range them without their protector.

Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by