Once again another CRD question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Patricia Jane, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    I have been doing a lot of reading and am so so confused and upset. So let me get this straight. Is all respiratory illness CRD? I have a chicken that had a slight gurgle. I immed. seperated her to my back porch and started antibiotics. She had no other symptoms that I could see. Eyes were clear, no runny nose. no sneezing, poops were and still are normal. She was eating but I could tell she wasn't herself. She is a leg horn and usually quite skittish She still ran from me but wasn't her sassy self. I quarenteened (?) her on the 26th. The morning I heard her. Now will all my chickens get sick and be carriers so I can never add to my flock. I was so enjoying having them till now.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    The only way to tell for certain if you have CRD is to get your birds tested. CRD is just a catch-all term for a number of respiratory conditions that can cause lifelong problems. A "gurgle" may mean she has picked up one of the many viruses that cause CRD or it could mean she had some food stuck in her throat that has since been moved through her system. If you are really concerned then make arrangements to have your birds tested. You can go through your state lab. They will help you find someone to test your flock.

I hope things work of well for you. Hopefully, the gurgle was just a fluke that meant nothing.

Good luck.

3. Patricia Jane

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Thanks for your help. Made me feel better. She is acting her self again. Hopefully it's not CRD. The more I was reading the more paranoid I was becoming. I am not around anyone elses chickens. I don't know anyone who owns chickens other than my neighbors but have no contact. No chicks at the feed store I go to. I wear the same shoes to the coop and no others so I have no idea how she could of contacted it.The only other worry is the wild turkeys. They can only see them through the run but If it's airborn could of contacted it that way? All my other chickens seem to be fine and healthy. If any others shwow signs I will definatley have them tested. Thanks again, Patti

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    With wild turkeys being around they could have theoretically caught something, but chances are slim unless the birds had direct contact with the turkeys. I would not worry too much about it. Any other symptoms show up and then I would start to be concerned, but in the meantime...Keep doing things like you've been doing and hope for the best.

Good luck, Patricia Jane.

5. Patricia Jane

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Phew Thanks CMV for your help. Greatly appreciated. Patti

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by