Once Again... What is She? 6wks With Updated Pictures!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Reyvaughn, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Size: Large
    Legs: Clean, but she has little tufts of feathers coming in near her hocks. I have no pictures of this that came out clear. I will try again today.
    Leg Color: Black.
    Feet Color: Black, but since she's been outside scratching, two of her toes are now yellow on the tips. Last week while she was still inside, they were solid black.
    Comb: Single

Other details:
    She came from a hatchery, which one, I don't know. I bought her from Agway and she was marked as a Barred Rock. I pretty much knew she wasn't a BR, but I thought maybe, since she had no head spot, she'd definitely be a female! Once the wing feathers started coming in, I knew she wasn't a BR. No barring at all, she's solid black. I already ruled out Australorp. I have had 15 of them and I know she isn't an Australorp.

I am now questioning if she's even a she. She's getting some red in her wattles and I'm a bit concerned. She is larger than the BRs and BOs I bought with her (all the same age). I originally thought she may be a Jersey Giant. I am starting to think that again, but I really don't know.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here she is with her brooder mates for comparison.
    [​IMG]

I will get pictures of the bottom of her feet and the tufts of feathers below her hock. If I hadn't flipped her over to get pics of her feet, I would have never seen them.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    She looks like a Jersey giant to me, but I'm not an expert. [​IMG]

3. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    -sigh- She's not very photogenic.

I had a great shot of the tufts while she was walking around, but she moved and you can't see them in the picture, so I resorted back to my original pictures that are blurry. I marked them for you all. They are small, but they are there and none of my others have them.
    [​IMG]

And a decent side shot of her.
    [​IMG]

4. Framac

Framac Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    New Berlin
    Zaxby's2 :

She looks like a Jersey giant to me, but I'm not an expert. [​IMG]

X2​

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Yep yep, you have yourself a dainty little Jersey Giant. A little too early to tell on gender, but I don't see any roo indicators.

6. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Really? With feather tufts below the hock? I didn't realize they got them. Of course, she is hatchery stock. Well, either way, I was leaning towards BJG because of her size and her colors weren't the same as my BAs.

7. Obyli

Obyli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    California Torrance
    Looks like a white leghorn to me.

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:Lol what? [​IMG]

9. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I had to scroll back through to make sure I didn't somehow get one of the Tetra Tints (they do look like WLHs) in any of the shots.

LOL. Yep. White Leghorn. [​IMG]

10. Moose The Ameraucana

Moose The Ameraucana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Seattle
    Her legs look green? Are they? If they were i would say she is an EE cuz she resembles one but her comb doesnt look like an EE [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by