Once broody always broody? Or not?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mrs. Mucket, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Mrs. Mucket

Mrs. Mucket Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Is broodiness a lifelong tendency? Just curious, as one of our 23-week-old Buff Orpingtons is sitting on one or more eggs almost every morning. After I take the eggs she returns and sits on nothing and there's no egg later so I don't think she's waiting to lay. We don't want any new chicks till spring but I'm wondering if she's likely to be a good brooder when the time comes? I do see her out with the other girls in the afternoon, so at least she is not pining away on an empty nest all day.

2. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    My Buff Orpington, Ophelia, of blessed memory. Was CONSTANTLY going broody!! I wish now I had gotten her some fertile eggs to hatch!

I'd say in the two years she was alive, she had at least 4 or 5 times of "Broodiness"

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  3. monathequeen

monathequeen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Burlington KS
    I had two hens who were broody all summer. The other 6 weren't.
    I have hens who just want to sit in the box for no other reason. Just to be away from it all I figured.
    If they're just hiding out from everyone like I said earlier....chickens are funny that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by