1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Once one goes broody...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GatorChickenRanch, Nov 8, 2011.

1. GatorChickenRanch

GatorChickenRanch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    Middleburg, FL
    Two days ago, one of my bantam cochins went broody on one egg. I guess she was so desperate she would sit on anything! [​IMG]
    Anyways, I just went out to collect eggs, and there were THREE broody hens! I guess those girls just want some chicks [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Wow! Lucky you! I've only ever had two broody hens. When the first one went broody, I didn't have a rooster! DRAT! And when the second one went broody, she kept getting confused about which eggs to set on, and she would go to her eggs, then I'd find her sitting on some freshly layed eggs in another nest.......Nothing ever hatched for her! GRRRR!

I love Cochins......

3. GatorChickenRanch

GatorChickenRanch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    Middleburg, FL
    This cochin has sat in a golf ball before so she's great. Looking forward to hatching out the 20+ eggs shared between the three [​IMG]

4. kristip

kristip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus
    I have a BUff Orp that has been broody for well over a month. .. she is just not a good one. Let her go for the first few weeks, but then decided to get her som efertile eggs, but I think she gets up too much to keep them warm here in WI where it is getting chilly out. Hoping when these dont hatch for her... she gets up and does something. How long can they stay broody???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by