Once shy rooster suddenly friendly and social

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beasknees, Apr 2, 2017.

1. beasknees

beasknees New Egg

Mar 28, 2017
    Our flock consists of 12 hens and 3 roosters. Two of the roosters are barred rocks (one is dominant and one is second in command) and the other is a bantam with no authority. The roosters have always stayed on the edge of the flock and kept watch when we are giving treats and attention while the hens gobble up everything. Now the dominant rooster joins for treats and we can even hand feed him. Is this strange? Is there a chance he can become agressive? He is very gentle taking food, it's just sudden and different.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would certainly keep my eye on him. Forward behavior from a rooster can be a dominant action, or it can just be he wants some treats. Age can play a big factor. Roosters older than a year are less like to try dominating their keeper. After mine reach 2 years of age I don't think twice about them.

That being said I wouldn't hand feed a rooster. I toss the stuff to mine to not give the message that he's allowed in my personal space, which would mean I was submissive.

3. beasknees

beasknees New Egg

Mar 28, 2017
    Thanks for the insight. He is a little over a year old. We will watch him. Hopefully he stays kind.

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Old Hen is right! Roosters should respect your space, move out of your way, and not challenge you IN ANY WAY! If he's 'dancing' or sidling up to you, that's also not good. Stop the hand feeding, and make sure that he moves away from you as you walk 'through' him, and generally act like the big tall bringer of food that you are. Mary

1 person likes this.
  5. beasknees

beasknees New Egg

Mar 28, 2017
    He has not challenged us and still moves out of our way. We have had some nasty roosters in the past, none started out like this. This is a new one on us.

6. biophiliac

biophiliac Chillin' with the Peeps Premium Member

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    [​IMG] Your Avatar is adorable[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    My 'friendliest' cockerels generally (always!) turned into human aggressive jerks as they matured. Hope your boy remains well behaved. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by