1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Once the chicks hatch...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickengirl1304, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Chickengirl1304

Chickengirl1304 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012
    California
    How long should I leave them in he incubator? Last time I took them out bacause they were making the other eggs roll around and causing chaos

2. AnimalLover99

AnimalLover99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    about 1-2 days

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    They can stay in there 1-2 days, since they don't need food and water yet, but if needed they can come out as soon as they've dried off completely. Ideally you shouldn't open the incubator if you have any eggs that's pipped as the drop in humidity can cause the hatching chicks to get "shrink wrapped" in the drying membrane. If you do open the incubator do it as quick as you can to minimise humidity loss.

4. Chickengirl1304

May 5, 2012
    California
    See I am asking is because I have a couple different breeds in there and I am not a professional about telling which is which so I figured As they hatch I would get them out and put a little band on their leg but I guess that's not a good idea huh?

5. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I wouldn't do it. You can use "hatch baskets". Little baskets that will contain each breed. I use them to seperate chicks so I know the parents.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas

I don't know what your incubator looks like or how many of each you have, but it gets pretty chaotic in there. That's not a practical solution.

Either put a good divider in there that they can't cross to separate the eggs or use small baskets as FarmGirl mentioned. Maybe take some hardware cloth and bend it into baskets that can fit over the eggs inside the incubator at lockdown. Or come up with something similar.

What breeds are they? Maybe we can tell you how to tell them apart based on down color?

Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  7. Chickengirl1304

May 5, 2012
    California
    A divider is a great idea! Thank you I will try this:) its a brand new genesis auto heat regulator and humidity screen with an auto turner. I have black copper marans and what will either be: black sex link girls, barred rock/ new hampshire reds boys, or pure new Hampshire reds

8. Chickengirl1304

May 5, 2012
    California
    Where do I get them/ do you have a pic? Thank you

9. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I bought mine at the dollar store in a pack of two. I covered them with clean wire. Those little ones can jump out.[​IMG]

10. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by