Once they start squating when do they lay?

Squatting is the hens' version of "assume the position", they'll crouch doown, with access to thier vent (similar to a cat or dog inheat).

Some do this before laying, some after, some never do this, unless a rooster is present.

My girls started doing that about 2 weeks ago and started laying maybe a week after. They look like they are getting ready for take off. You will definitely know it when you see it
big_smile.png

Okay, really stupid question from a really new chicken rancher: So how long does it take from the time a hen "assumes the position" until the egg actually emerges? Is it five minutes, 30 minutes, four hours? Or all over the map?

Thanks for indulging my curiosity...

Quote:
It's not the egg laying position, it's the mating one.
wink.png
Usually my hens have gone to the box laid the egg and walked back in in say 15 mins.

The squatting is a readiness for breeding posture. It merely is one signal of sexual maturity. The egg is not going to pop out because of the squat. The pullet squats in your presence because you represent a big creature, possibly a rooster, and she is being submissive. I usually just rub my foot on their backs for a second or two and they seem to love it. They fluff their feathers and walk off proudly, assuming they've just been bred.

The pullets begin by dropping little, thin eggs, that often are rubbery or thin shelled. Within a week, their reproductive system comes up to speed and the genuine eggs begin to be laid.

Last edited:
When the hen gets on the nest she may sit there for about 15-20 minutes before "going into position". Once she does it only takes a few minutes for the egg to come out. One of our chickens first eggs came out sideways with the membrane stuck to it, if this ends up happening put the hen in warm water and make sure there is no feathers stuck to the egg. Then you brake the egg with something sharp. It may take a little while for the membrane to go back in and the hen might act odd for a few days or even weeks but they always recover. Thankfully this doesn't happen often so you don't have to worry about it, but just in case it does you'll know what to do.
D.gif

Your answer to how long it takes for the egg to emerge (even though you already have one).

Last edited:
Some of my pullets will squat when I reach for them. It's a good sign that eggs are coming soon. It's really funny.....some of the young hens that I can never seem to get near will squat, and I can actually pick them up and pet them. It's a definite sign of sexual maturity, as another member mentioned, and it seems to make them alot more friendly and sociable.

Back
Top Bottom