once you are getting eggs do you...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SparksNV, Nov 2, 2010.

1. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    put them immediately in the frig or do you leave them out on the counter? I just got my first egg... not sure what to do with it other than admire it then have it for breakfast!

carol

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

First eggs - I blow 'em out to eat the insides and save the lovely evidence of each girl's first egg. They're generally small, so I save 'em until I have about 3 eggs to eat.

I keep eggs in a basket on the counter until I have too many for that basket to hold, then I put them in cartons and put them in the fridge. (I sell eggs to a few people.) If I'm about to sell some, within the next day or three, I don't put them in the fridge, just stack the cartons on the counter.

3. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I stared at mine for about half an hour before I asked myself that question. LOL

I keep mine on the counter until I get more than a dozen, then I either hard boil the old ones or go ahead and refrigerate.

Do this: examine your first egg cracked in a bowl to see first hand how your fresh egg looks. Fry and eat it and compare to store bought egg. Then keep what you get from the girls (all of them) on the counter, numbered in sequence (to track age) and eat as needed using the smallest numbered egg. Note the difference (if any) in texture/flavor between birds (I tend to prefer my RIR). Most importantly, note changes in the firmness of the whites when cracked. Whites get thin with age. Yolk color varies with diet (more greens for orange yolk).

When There was noticeable aging in the whites, I go ahead and boil or fridge it. With only three, i rarely have any sitting in the fridge.
    (edit: this gives you an idea how long your eggs will remain fresh. I imagine it also depends on how warm your house is)

From a cooking standpoint, room temp eggs arebetter to work with.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    If it's clean, I add it to an egg carton on the counter. If it's dirty I brush it off with a wet vegetable brush, lay it on a towel until it drys then put it in a carton in the refrigerator. Once either carton is full, I date the eggs with the first day they were collected and we either eat, give them to our kids or sell them.

After a week or so the ones that were washed and in the refrigerator that aren't used for one reason or another are ready to boil if I need them.

5. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    first eggs... i stare for while... admire....then i put them in the fridge, and eat them. [​IMG]

6. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    I bring them in and clean if necessary then put them in a carton and in the frig. I feel they'll stay fresh longer if cooled.

7. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    I took pictures of the first eggs. Then i waited unil there were enough for both of us and ate them.

8. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    I polish all eggs with a thin coat of food-grade mineral oil (if eggs are dirty i scrub them with warm water and soap first, then let air dry before polishing) and stack them in open cartons on the counter until it's time to sell them - then I package in closed cartons - about once a week we deliver to clients who then refrigerate them, who all say they are the very best eggs they have ever eaten :)

9. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:I love reading posts like this when you see just how much we all have in common with this hobby...from Woodmort starting the thread that is still going like wildfire about smelling your chickens to reading about how other people stare at their birds first eggs. [​IMG] It's nice to see that I am not alone in these quirky actions.

I stare at my first eggs with great facination and excitement that they are finally starting to lay. It is even more exciting if it is one of my blue or green eggs. Then I can't wait until the next morning to eat it! Its always nice if a few birds start laying on the same day so I don't have to fight with my kids over who gets to eat it.

10. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Quote:I love reading posts like this when you see just how much we all have in common with this hobby...from Woodmort starting the thread that is still going like wildfire about smelling your chickens to reading about how other people stare at their birds first eggs. [​IMG] It's nice to see that I am not alone in these quirky actions.

I stare at my first eggs with great facination and excitement that they are finally starting to lay. It is even more exciting if it is one of my blue or green eggs. Then I can't wait until the next morning to eat it! Its always nice if a few birds start laying on the same day so I don't have to fight with my kids over who gets to eat it.

We all make fine company [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by