Ondura panels for coop

Serenitys-garden

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2022
I am designing a tractor in 2 parts, coop end and run end made with cattle panels. After an afternoon pricing lumber and corrugated roofing panels and knowing my budget, I am left so frustrated! I have never heard of these before. Can these Asphalt panels be installed over a cattle panel hoop? I am basing my plans on this video I found on YouTube. I attached a screenshot.
Thanks!! My babies are a week old so I have some time to plan.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220327-185300_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20220327-185300_Brave.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 65
I've used them on a roof, but the roof had plywood underlayment. Have you smelled those panels? they smell like petroleum products. I doubt you could have them with the underside exposed, anywhere near your birds. How about corrugated metal instead? Or, for cattle panel hoop, shade cloth may block out the rain if you double it up. The curve of the hoop may allow for this.

I haven't seen them, just pricing online. Yes, I used the Corrugated roofing on my last coop and it is wonderful. It will last forever. I want an all year coop so I was afraid that the tarp wouldn't be enough protection in winter.

Thanks!

Thanks. I was wondering about that too. They aren't that much cheaper than the metal. I am just trying to cut costs. Over 700 for a 32sq ft coop and 96 Sq ft run..... my old pen was stationary but I now want a tractor for free ranging that doesn't include feeding the coyotes.

Thanks. I was wondering about that too. They aren't that much cheaper than the metal. I am just trying to cut costs. Over 700 for a 32sq ft coop and 96 Sq ft run..... my old pen was stationary but I now want a tractor for free ranging that doesn't include feeding the coyotes.

Pricey -everything is pricey!

Try CL or fb marketplace for unwanted shed, or pallets, or any random building supplies. Also see if any auctions - they can have a lot of random stuff. We have a livestock auction in our general area. They have outdoor/livestock/garden/pet things for auction in a different area, same day as their small animal auction. I’ve gotten several wire cages for great prices, but they have tons of stuff that people are getting rid of.

We took 3 years to roof the run - time and cost. Most recently, had to spend 60% more than 1.5 years ago for some fencing to replace the run fence. We’ve been trying to buy some for that long but couldn’t find any in stock, and jumped in it when we finally found it.

Try CL or fb marketplace for unwanted shed, or pallets, or any random building supplies. Also see if any auctions - they can have a lot of random stuff. We have a livestock auction in our general area. They have outdoor/livestock/garden/pet things for auction in a different area, same day as their small animal auction. I’ve gotten several wire cages for great prices, but they have tons of stuff that people are getting rid of.

We took 3 years to roof the run - time and cost. Most recently, had to spend 60% more than 1.5 years ago for some fencing to replace the run fence. We’ve been trying to buy some for that long but couldn’t find any in stock, and jumped in it when we finally found it.
I second that emotion. Free pallets are pretty common in my area. Sometimes you can even find "doubles" with longer 2x4s.

You may also consider plywood for board and batten siding. I will likely go this route with my upcoming trailer build with reclaimed lumber. Reclaimed sure sounds classier than trash!

I have ondura panel on my porch. The reason I wouldn't use on coop them is weight. If you are putting them on tractor, it will be heavier.

That's a good idea. I have a stack of pallets! It is just so hard to rip them... yes, the roofing I used last time was 10 and it is now 21 a sheet. Our local HD is empty! No standard woods at all. I am going to reinvestigate thos pallets.

I second that emotion. Free pallets are pretty common in my area. Sometimes you can even find "doubles" with longer 2x4s.

You may also consider plywood for board and batten siding. I will likely go this route with my upcoming trailer build with reclaimed lumber. Reclaimed sure sounds classier than trash!
Yes, I was even thinking osb. I have painted the heck out of it before and it lasted ok. Lol. Yes and reclaimed sounds like you are saving something.

Back
Top Bottom