Ondura Roof Panel Question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TheBrumstead, Aug 9, 2011.

1. TheBrumstead

TheBrumstead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Hobart, IN
    I am going to do the roof of my 4x4 coop with a sheet of plywood and Ondura roof panel. Do I need to get the closure things with the plywood underneath?

2. littlefork

littlefork Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean by closure things but if you mean the foam inserts that fit underneath the edge you don't have to have them but if you don't you may find that bees and wasps, etc will make nests underneath between the roofing and the plywood. You could also just use that spray foam in the can to seal up the ends, which I considered. But I decided to go with the inserts instead as they are easier, less messy too.

3. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    My first roof was Ondura. And I'm going to say yes, you do need to get all the support for under these panels as they do not have the stiffness to support themselves. Otherwise, they will sag. Ours sagged and water pooled on top.

We eventually ripped the whole thing off and now have corrugated metal panels up there. But they too are supported on a framework so they don't sag and we get good run off that drains completely outside their run when it rains.

4. TheBrumstead

TheBrumstead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Hobart, IN
    We are going to use a sheet of plywood for the roof and want to put Ondura over the plywood. What I'm asking about is the little strip of closures to prevent water running in. Do I still need those if it's a full sheet of plywood underneath?

5. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Well, I can't answer for certain but I would venture a yes given how flexible that stuff is and how much water pooled up on mine.

6. On the one small barn where I used plywood, I did use the strips at the top of the roof. I have not used them since and have no problems. I almost butt the pieces at the top and with the standard cap piece it would take a hurricane to get water in.

I have not used underlayment since and I have not used the foam pieces. You will occasionally get wasps in the coop through those gaps.

I have used Ondura now on about 6000 square feet of roof and have had no problems. It is not the equivalent of metal roofing but is an excellent lower priced option.
    [​IMG]

The latest project for daughters gold laced orpingtons.

7. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    To answer your question directly, NO! you do not need to use those inserts if you do not mind the small, curvy openings. I have Ondura roof panels on my run and I did use it because I did not want anything to have any openings to get into the run. My concern was a rat or a snake could (not likely) climb up on the hardware cloth and get access to the run. Except for that reason there is no requirement that they be used. Other then that I really liked using the Ondura and highly recommend it.

8. chriscos

chriscos Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    I used the inserts, but I didn't use plywood underneath, just purlins spaced across every 24". The panels had no problems this winter with about 4 feet of snow on them.

I really like the ondura panels too. I've done two small coops with them (5 x 8 and 4 x 6) and I am going to be building another coop that is about 12 x 8.

9. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    I had the same question and my carpenter friend said no. But he insisted on 2x4 purlins going across the rafters every 2 ft to prevent sagging. You won't have that problem because you have plywood underneath but I am using this over an open air run. Hence the need to support it.

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

We used that roofing on the run of our bantam coop (hard to see in the pic). We didn't use plywood - just purlins and we used the matching nails with the built in rubber washers. Of course now I have 2/3 of a box of those danged nails [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by