One 18mo sick and died, one 6mo fine and died, eat the eggs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by traceyj, Dec 26, 2014.

1. traceyj

traceyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2014
    BC Canada
    Would you eat eggs from a coop when two birds have fallen sick and died in two days.
    Cuddy has been sick for a couple of days and I had to put her out of her pain yesterday.symptoms started with a bent forward foot, then that righted itself but she had closed up eyes, then the runs started. She was very sick.
    Last night I locked the girls up in their coop and this morning my fave 6 month old who was happy and came to me for cuddles yesterday was dead this morning.

So do we eat the eggs the rest of them are laying? I've done a deep clean of the whole coop, I've tossed the remainder of their feed in favour if a new bag. Bought new feed and water bowls.
    Checked other girls over and no signs of illness.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The eggs are probably fine to eat, but I would get some Amprol (amprollium, Corid) to treat for possible coccidiosis, just in case. Amprol has to be purchased from a vet in Canada. Dosage is 2 tsp per gallon of the liquid Amprol, given in the water for 5-7 days. When you describe a bent forward foot, do you mean that the toes were curled under and she walked on the top of her foot? Can you describe any other symptoms of the two? Have you ever seen any lameness or paralysis of a wing or leg?

3. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. The eggs should be fine. The sick ones are not laying the eggs. You need to figure out what illness took them so you do not loose your whole flock though. A few more questions for you:
    Have you checked them for mites?
    When is the last time they were wormed?
    How is their breathing (heavy, shallow or fine)?

4. traceyj

Aug 25, 2014
    BC Canada
    Last wormed a month ago, and no evidence, I've checked them for mites not seen any.
    The big toe was tucked under and she was walking on it, the second chicken was fine at bedtime but gone in the morning.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The one hen who was walking on her toe bent under could have had a vitamin deficiency, or possibly Mareks disease. Since you lost another, I would check into Mareks disease, but I would also find out how to get a necropsy done by a vet, if you should lose another. Sorry for your loss.

6. traceyj

Aug 25, 2014
    BC Canada
    Thanks for those ideas. I feed a layer pellet with additional oyster and grit when they want it, and corn scratch plus vegetables every other day. I've had 5 eggs of 7 hens today and the olive egger and the maran laid yesterday so I'm reasonably certain all 7 have laid in last two days (I think, they think I did away with the others cos they weren't laying and are all now trying to prove how useful and productive they are!)

7. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Awww. Poor chickens. Glad the others are doing ok. By the way, I have never heard of feeding them corn starch.....I am going to read up on that, but wouldn't corn starch solidify the digestive track?

8. traceyj

Aug 25, 2014
    BC Canada
    Sorry corn scratch. Autocorrect is making things up now!!!

9. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Oh good! Scared me for a minute[​IMG]. I have used corn starch on the chickens when they pecked at each other to cover small blood spots so they wouldn't see the blood and become cannibalistic. So it is a good thing to keep in the chicken 1st aid kit.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by