1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

one 3 week old australorp escaped -- UPDATED --CHICK FOUND! :)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fiddlebanshee, Oct 8, 2011.

1. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    EDITED: You all are so not going to believe this. When I went in the coop to retrieve the yogurt dish that they had finished I saw 3 australorps - What the heck? I counted and all 14 were present. My theory is that she never left the coop (that's why I didn't hear her peep outside,) and hid in the darkest corner near the nest boxes where I couldn't see her. Perhaps I even threw pine shavings over her. She must have been frightened by her bold act and my jerk reaction to something landing on my head.

ORIGINAL POST:

I was preparing the coop where their brooder is for them to roam about inside the coop as they were starting to fly against the roof of the brooder and I didn't want them to hurt themselves. I had made a ladder for them to come down, hung waterers, put food down, hung an additional heatlamp. The chicks were very curious watching me, but , as I thought still safely locked up in their brooder.

Lo and behold as I was spreading the final load of wood shavings I felt something land on my head. Not expecting this, it startled me and I jerked my head. The people coop doors which do not lead into the run, were open, she flew out. I think she got out through a little opening in the hardware cloth that I had made to hang a 1/2 gallon jug with a nipple for them to drink from. Maybe she perched on the jug and crawled out that way.

I have put two waterers near the coop hoping to lure her back. There is a lot of vegetation and places to hide, I can't find her unless she comes back on her own. It's around 70 degrees today, she is 3 weeks old. Of course there is a whole lot of predators, but I'd hope that she comes back to the coop before dark and that danger becomes acute.

It's interesting that it is an australorp, usually not the most curious of the bunch. I'd have expected one of the dominiques to do this but not the australorp. My DH says she's the silent, planning kind of bird, hatches a plan and waits patiently for the opportunity to arise. I can kick myself that I didn't close the doors, but I hadn't expected her to crawl through that little hole.

What else can I do? Put food out? I thought that might not help much as she'll have plenty of wild food to find.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  2. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Have you ever given her treats? Maybe if she had a real favorite..... I'm so sorry. The worry is hard! [​IMG]

3. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    You could go out and sit quietly by the coop and listen for her to make noise. If she gets lonely, she will probably start calling and peeping to the other chicks. I would also slowly walk around the coop listening, and watching for her. If it is grown up enough that she can hide, you can poke around in the vegatation, to flush her out.

4. rachelcb80

rachelcb80 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    Mississippi
    I would think like ozark said, being very quiet and listening for her would be your best option. Maybe you can make peeping noises to entice her to call back? Being on her own I would think she'd start calling sooner or later trying to get back to her group. Best of luck finding her!

5. fiddlebanshee

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    It's now been about 2 hours and I've been in and out of the coop, strolled around the area I think she might be and not a peep. I also saw a stray dog, but I'm not sure that he got her, I would've noticed the ruckus. I've opened the windows in the coop since it is a nice day and if she's reasonably close she should be able to hear their peeps. Not a trace of her so far. I'm hoping she'll come back by dusk, since she's been in that coop since day 1 and their homing instinct should be strong. Luckily it's a very nice day with temps in the upper 70s.

We're talking about a huge area that has knee high ferns and other plants. I wouldn't know where to start to try to find her. We have 14 wooded acres and I didn't see in which direction she went. There's also a pile of wood rather close to the coop that she could have gone into to hide. I guess the only thing I can do is be patient and watchful. I keep hoping she'll get cold where she's hiding and come out into the sun where it's warm and I can see her.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  6. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Goog luck, I sure hope you find her. I find it strange that you haven't heard a peep out of her, since she got lost. Lost chicks will usually, make lots of noise.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    could you put some chickens outside in a secure wire dog cage? I'm guessing she would see/hear them and try and join in.I don't think she would have gone far if it was her first time outside.

8. fiddlebanshee

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    I find it strange that you haven't heard a peep out of her, since she got lost. Lost chicks will usually, make lots of noise.

That's what worries me. Either she flew a long way off and can't find her way back home or she's become someone's lunch real quickly. I have no cage that I could put the others out in. I did open their window so that she could hear the peeps.​

9. UncleTommy

UncleTommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    Sanger, CA
    I'd carry one with you, the lost chick will hear it and come running, mine home in on each other.

10. fiddlebanshee

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    [​IMG] Chick has been found. Never left the coop. See edited first message.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by