One 7 week old pullet picking and eating other's feathers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Penske, May 22, 2008.

1. Penske

Penske Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    our flock of 13 seems very happy. lots of space, natural light, right temp, clean food, Poulin grain starter feed, coop is kept clean, pine shavings, etc...

one GLW walks around and plucks feathers from the others! and then she eats them!

i read lots of posts about this and some books say that it's normal...

but what can i do?

should I give just the GLW some extra protien (like a boiled egg)
    or give it to them all??

within the next two weeks they be feathered out and will be able to head out into the run. temps here are still in the 50's during the day.

Ideas??

Thanks!
    Lisa

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  2. ChickenSquat

ChickenSquat Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2007
    Social Circle,Ga
    let them in the run now.at 7 weeks they should have most or all of their feathers so they'll stay warm enough. they need room to run and play!!!!!

3. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Lisa I never heard back from you,,,let those little girls out in the run to scratch and play, they will be fine!!!

4. Penske

Penske Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Hi Standard!

I thought that they needed to be at 65 degrees and it's not that outside here. They look to me to have all their feathers except their bum--it's still fuzzy. Also they have stray feathers in their necks too.

So how long can they go out for??

I still have a 250 w red light in the coop hanging about 4 feet off the floor. It keeps the area below it at about 70, but they have lots of room to move out from it, which they do. The overall coop temp I think goes to about 55 at night, with the vents and windows closed.
    About 9 of them roost. I was told to keep the vent closed if the light is on so not to cause a draft.

Once they are fully feathered and there is no heat lamp, should I keep the vent open?

So many questions!!

Thanks so much!!!

Lisa

5. Standard Hen

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    You can open the coop door and let them go in and out at will during the day all day and shut the light off. They need to start acclimating and they are more than ready to get outside and enjoy the fresh air and run. I would say at this point you do not even need the light at night anymore but if it makes you feel more comfortable a couple of more weeks will not hurt.

It is supposed to be nice all weekend, open the door and at first they will be very apprehensive about going out because the coop is all they know but once they are out there they will be running and scratching! Throw in a little grass and watch the fun begin. They will not have any time to pick anyones fathers because they will be so busy.

They are just about fully feathered now, and as I said I would get rid of the light. In a couple of more weeks it will be really starting to warm up and open the vent. They will acclimate and thrive.

Remember, when they are roosting and sleeping at night they are also keeping each other warm at the same time.

Isn't it fun??? I got 6 more from the feed store yesterday and my daughter brought home a little sick black sex link tonight, I do not know if she is going to make it, she looks so weak.

Let me know how they like the outside world!

[​IMG]

6. Standard Hen

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I returned your pm!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by