One adult hen left after attack

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by acc272, Sep 24, 2016.

1. acc272

acc272 New Egg

Sep 24, 2016
    Royce City, TX
    A couple weeks ago, a dog got into my free range area and killed all but one of my adult chickens. I am miserably sad about this but I must move forward and help my last girl out. I have since gotten 9 hens and a rooster who are all three months old. This is much bigger than my last brood of 4. All the newbies are in the big coop and run and my 2.5 year old Buff Orpington is in the small tractor coop alone.

I need to know how and when I can try to incorporate Princess Lei-an-egg into the big flock. She is super sweet and I hate to leave her alone for too long.

The new girls are a mixed bag of friendly breeds, i.e. Golden Comets, Buff Brahma, Americauna, Delaware, Cuckoo Maran...

Any advice is appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Alliosn

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Do you free range your birds? You can let them all together and sit and watch how they do..I have a feeling just a few out bursts of meanness and it will settle down....You wont know till you try...?

Cheers!

3. acc272

acc272 New Egg

Sep 24, 2016
    Royce City, TX
    The new babes are a bit smaller still and I've only had them a few days. I haven't started letting them free range yet. How close in size should they be you think?

4. chickens really

Are they still peeping? If so? Wait a bit longer...Keep the older bird separate but close enough to see the new birds...I will always try an introduction..If it does not workout, keep them apart a bit longer...Pecking order is mean....Usually it is not as bad as it looks...

Try it...I would!

Cheers!

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    At 12 weeks, as soon as they are acclimated to the coop, I'd let them out to range with your older hen. The pullets and cockrel are old enough. Many of us are finding that it's easier to integrate newer birds when they are much younger: as young as 3 - 6 weeks old. Have you addressed the way the dog was able to access your yard???

6. acc272

acc272 New Egg

Sep 24, 2016
    Royce City, TX
    They are certainly not peeping anymore. I wonder if it would be better to do it now before the brood gets any more settled. Thoughts? [​IMG]

7. acc272

acc272 New Egg

Sep 24, 2016
    Royce City, TX
    That's a big part of why I won't let them out yet. I'm not certain where it got in. I have some work to do!

8. chickens really

Yes, today is the day....Go let them out!

Best wishes...I know it will be fine..A few fights...Just normal stuff...

Cheers!

9. chickens really

Only free range when your home...

10. Little Fuzzy

Little Fuzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2016
    I would try it right away or you might have the nine new ones all pecking your older hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by