One and a half story coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by moonflowers, Apr 26, 2009.

1. moonflowers

moonflowers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    First of all right now I have 7 chicks that are four weeks old but I am trying to plan for the future. I am thinking that 2 of them are roosters so I will probably have to get rid of them which will put me at 5 chickens. The coop we are building is 4x8 so I know it should have plenty of room for up to 8 chickens. On one side, however, we are dividing the 6 foot tall space into two by putting in a 4'x4' piece of plywood. Will this technically increase my floor space up to 4'x12' allowing me to have a total of 12 chickens eventually? I love my chicks and certainly don't want to overcrowd them but I also want more, lol. My run is 18'x8'. Please advise on this so I know if there is a possibility of getting more chickens. Thanks!

Please excuse the very childlike drawing, it is difficult to draw on a laptop in paint!

[​IMG]

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Sorry, but chickens don't really use 'second story' floorspace the same way they do the ground. So, while they will go up there some, sometimes, and it is better than nothing, it does not really add materially to the available space in the coop from a chicken perspective. If you put 12 chickens in there, they will still be approximately 50% more crowded than your current situation.

Good luck,

Pat

3. moonflowers

moonflowers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Okay, thank you. I will just get three more next year then if I end up with 5 chickens. I know it was wishful thinking on my part. I can't wait to move to the country and have all the space I need and want!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by