One and done? No more eggs!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hula Hens, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Hula Hens

Hula Hens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2013
    Wailuku, Maui, HI
    We were very excited that our BR gave us our first egg, but then she stopped. Her first egg came 2 1/2 weeks ago, and her second came just this morning. Is that normal?

Also, our Ameraucana is nearing 30 weeks and she is not even showing signs of laying. Shouldn't she be laying by now?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Well, they are all different. Some start out laying small or misshapen eggs, soft shelled eggs, or laying at odd intervals. Hopefully she is on track now. True Ameraucanas have been selected for egg color rather than quantity of egg production and generally have a later 'start' age than production bred birds. Enjoy your flock.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, it is normal. You can get gaps in laying, strange looking eggs, etc while their bodies adjust to laying.

4. Hula Hens

Hula Hens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2013
    Wailuku, Maui, HI
    That makes me feel so much better. Thanks for the help!!! Hopefully all our girls start laying regularly soon. I really want to stop buying eggs. [​IMG]

..... funny thing happened. A few minutes after my original post yesterday, my son screams out, "there's an egg!!" Our Ameraucana layed her first egg. It was small and healthy with a hard shell and just a tinge of blue. It was delicious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by