1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One babe not growing as fast, sparse feathers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gallinitas, May 26, 2016.

1. gallinitas

gallinitas New Egg

May 26, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hi all,

My bantee babies are two weeks old. One isn't growing as fast as her sisters and her feathers are not filling in as well. She does get picked on a little. I tried to isolate her, but she immediately started hollering and flew back into the other box with her gal pals. I just put all three into a much bigger box. She eats and drinks and seems otherwise normal, maybe a smidge sleepier than the other two. I keep the heat lamp on when they need it and keep their food and water fresh. She's the beige one- how does she look? Should I be worried?

Another question, is it too early to start giving them garden scraps? Just the little beet greens I've thinned out.

(This is my first time raising chicks by myself. I used to "help" my dad, but now I see how much work he really did! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! By my dad also so I won't call him as much [​IMG])

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    I would just keep an eye on her, some breeds feather out slower then others. Regarding scraps, if you cut the greens up small I think you should be able to give it to them.

Last edited: May 27, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by