One baby chick 3 days old with diarrhea

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by evekelly, Mar 25, 2015.

1. evekelly

evekelly Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2015
    I have 4 baby chicks 3 or 4 days old which I got on Monday( the 23rd). They are all doing fine. Im feeding them Purina non medicated chick starter. No grit yetbut my husband did give them about one or two worms each day. Little worms which he raises organically. They haven't had pasty butt. They are energetic, and seem otherwise healthy. They don't seem to like the temperature much above 90 because when I keep it at 95 they all stay ion the edges to sleep. Is this dangerous. Should I feed them grit because of the worms. The other 3 chicks have normal poop. Any suggestions?

2. evekelly

Feb 6, 2015
    In addition, they eat the wood chips when they can get to them as I have kept the newspaper and paper towels down on top of it but they dig it up from the sides.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Has the chick had runny poop since the very start? Is it watery or is it brown and soupy and smell bad? The latter is diarrhea.

The first is a default "style" of poop in an occasional chick. I had one, and five years later, she's normal in every respect except she still has runny poop (I call them splorts) most of the time. It's rare for her to poop solid turds. Nothing to worry about. If you observe this chick, chances are it hits the water far more frequently than the other chicks. It's compensating for some quirk in its physiology, and the result is watery poop.

It's normal for chicks to eat some wood shavings. It won't hurt them unless they eat shavings instead of their food and if they don't drink enough water to flush the shavings out of the crop.

Yes, you would be wise to give the chicks grit if they're getting worms. Extra treats are fine as long as you supply grit for proper digestion. A clump of sod will do, or a tub of sand, which they'll enjoy dirt bathing in. Just don't overdo it to the point they don't get enough of the chick starter for proper nutrition.

4. evekelly

Feb 6, 2015
    Has the chick had runny poop since the very start? Is it watery or is it brown and soupy and smell bad? The latter is diarrhea.

I think it is brown and soupy but I don't think it smells bad. I didn't notice it until yesterday but then again I have only had them since Monday afternoon so she may have had the same poop all along since it was really just a 24 hour period before I noticed a non solid poop. Thank you for the information, I will add some grit and maybe avoid treats for a day?

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    What treats besides worms have you given them? Some things high in water content can result in runny poop. Some chicks can be more affected, some less.

There are many forms of poop. You probably have nothing to worry about.

6. evekelly

Feb 6, 2015
    Thanks, that was the only treat they got was the few worms. But since my post, it has resolved and there haven't been any problems. I took the "pleasure" of looking at the pictures caecel poop that someone had a link to. It actually made it pretty clear that was what was going on, in my opinion. Otherwise, baby chicks are doing great still.
    Thank you for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by