One baby chick is acting funny.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jbest, Mar 22, 2015.

1. jbest

jbest Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2015
    First post here, and excited to be on here. So I got 6 chicks from the feed store, and have had them for about a week or two. All is going well except for one chicken. This little one seems to always crawl under the other chicks, and if they are huddled in a corner, she will crawl under them and get into the corner. She also seems to sit down once in place, and do this weird wing flapping move. Is she just shy of me and trying to hide? when I held her by herself, she seemed to be able to do all the regular chick motions, hold balance, etc.. Any ideas? Will by baby be okay?

2. thecrumbler

thecrumbler Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2015
    Illinois
    Hi! I'm new too! :) Is baby chick eating/drinking ok? Vent is clean, seems otherwise healthy? Every chick is different, some can be more shy, and there's always the natural pecking order. The chicks I have now - our smallest is always huddling under her sisters. But she's fine otherwise, other than being slightly smaller - I just make sure everyone has enough to eat so there's a minimum of skirmishes over food. Wing flapping could be a whole host of things - clearing dust, stretching, practicing for flight and world domination, etc.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Sounds like this chick is an "individual", not like the others. She also sounds like she craves being in contact with the others. This isn't so strange. Adult chickens will crowd and snuggle tightly together when dirt bathing.

At this age, the only thing you need to be watchful for is whether they're eating, drinking, pooping, and running around being active, not standing in one spot, nodding off.

Welcome to BYC, both of you!

4. jbest

jbest Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2015
    I call her ducky (always ducking under the others), and ducky seems to be eating fine and all that, vent is clean, and has no problem, with stretching wings by running about and fluttering. The action she does sometimes though is she sets down, and then fluffs her wings, not full extension, but just like flutts em. Only ever see her do this during play time and not in the brooder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by