one baby chick is breathing funny...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by zumachicks, May 3, 2008.

1. zumachicks

zumachicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2008
    one of my six day old chicks looks like her breathing is labored. this is the same one that was pasting...if i hold her, it seems to calm a bit, but not much...what does this mean and is there something i can do, she's been doing it all day and looks a bit uncomfortable.....??? she seems to be eating and drinking....

2. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    Were you able to clear up the pasty butt? Maybe she is too warm in the brooder? Is she chirping loudly like she is in pain?

3. zumachicks

Mar 12, 2008
    no, she's chirping, but just normal...not loud or excitedly or anything. i was able to clear up most of the pasty butt and then i put some oil on her bottom...seems to be doing ok...but she breathes with her beak open with short breaths....

4. 55885100

55885100 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    i just got a bunch of chicks. they sometimes will breath threw there mouth this only seems to happen when its very hot i live in florida where its always hot usualy when i turn on the air and add extra water they stop.
    [​IMG]

5. zumachicks

Mar 12, 2008
    i'm in malibu and the brooder seems a good temp...it's about 50 degrees outside (but they are in of course)...i raised the heat lamp a bit and none of them are under it...i hope they all make it through the night.

[​IMG] produces

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    It sounds like she is too hot. Crossing my fingers for you tonight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by