One baby chick passed away

Wineart

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA.
Hi All,
I feel like if I read through everything I will find the answer. I had one chick die today. Kind of worried about them not drinking enough water. I dipped their beaks in the water. Little cage is clean. Fresh water, etc. Do you think I should get some Corid to be safe? They seem okay but I am new to chickens. I have 4 now. They are probably around 7-10 days old. The temp is about 86F and there is areas that they can hang that is cooler....and I think maybe I had them too warm last night. She was good yesterday. Then got very lethargic and wanted to sleep more. I'm sad.

Last edited:
Sometimes the little chicks are just were too weak after their trials and tribulations being hatched, or they had a birth defect that you really couldn't see. They can be fragile when they are young...how old were they? At the first week, they appreciate the heat, and will move away if it is too hot for them. 86 degrees is not hot for them. We kept ours at 95 for the first week, then dropped it 5 degrees every week after that until they were fully feathered. You should keep their water away from the heat source, they do not like hot water. Do not blame yourself. Things happen...it's scientific.
hugs.gif

Thank you. I think they are about a week old. I am just paranoid now. Maybe I have been giving them too much attention. Trying to bond with them. The thing is I don't see them drinking much.

Just keep the water fairly cool. We keep our water bottles out of the sun when they are chilling in the tractor outside. When the real heat comes here, probably have to put ice in it...they are SO spoiled. Lucky they don't insist upon Evian....or any other bottled water! In the wild, they take what they can get...when WE have them, they insist on the best...little spoiled snowflakes....might dress up as Colonel Sander's for Halloween...teach them their place....
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom