One baby Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kjohnson211326, Mar 24, 2017.

1. kjohnson211326

kjohnson211326 New Egg

Mar 24, 2017
    I have a female mallard with 7 eggs one hatched I would say its a week early that I was expecting, the other ones have not hatched at all, but are clearly still alive, they are very warm, and look like there is a duck in them ready to come out.. Can one baby be born early?? I do not think the other ones are dead to be honest I am just wondering why one would be so early. We had bought these ducks from the feed mill last spring and they never left for the winter so we kept them all winter they are now laying eggs so this is all new to me.

2. Justy0

Justy0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2014
    If the other eggs still show signs of life then they are probably fine. I haven't heard of ducklings hatching that early but I'm sure its possible. However if it seems a normal size it may just be that one egg had been laid much earlier than the others. Are you hatching them or are the ducks? If its you then make sure to keep the single duckling warm and give it lots of one on one attention as it will need that so it doesn't get lonely and in turn sick.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by