One big happy flock :)

lauren6

Songster
Feb 12, 2010
Roanoke VA
Well boy o boy did those chicks outgrow the brooder tub fast! LOL

So I put up a new one big enough for the 6 silkies (now almost 3 weeks old) and the new 2 EEs and 2 Barred Rocks (guess they are a few days old? I got the from the feed store Thurs) with plenty of room to grow..

I thought that the silkies would accept the new ones easier if they were in a bigger area and new diggs
smile.png
They did!!

I put the new ones in first then added the silkies one by one with no problems
smile.png

The silkies seem happier with more room to move about, they were starting to get fussy in the tub i was using, now they are much quiter and not as much jumping and squeaking is going on.

I dont think there is anything you cant do with these nic cubes LOL I love them!!!

Ive still got a few things to finish up on it like triming the cable ties and the wood going across the front to give the door extra support (you cant really tell in this picture but there is a door that swings down over the opening), but for next to nothing they have a big ol brooder now
smile.png

Do you think this will be big enough to last till they move outside in 6-8 weeks??

017.jpg

Oh that is NICE!! What did you use around the bottom at the sides. I never thought about using those cubes. I have three of them stacked by my computer to hold my binders and I love them. What a great looking brooder they made!!
Chicks look so happy in there!!
thumbsup.gif
Kaye

Quote:
Thanks
smile.png
its called cloroplast or corogated plastic, they use it to make signs with. You can get it at sign stores in big sheets for like 20 bucks or at kinkos but its more expensive there. I had a bunch of bits and pieces laying around from where I had built rabbit cages the same way but instead of taping it around in pieces I made a box out of the sheet..
Here is a link that shows how http://www.guineapigcages.com/howto.htm

hope
this helps
smile.png

gonzo&hispeeps :

Probally not, but it'll last you a while. Thats a very nice brooder!
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks!!

They are handy things to have around!!​

sO cooL! do you mind me asking where you got the cube's from? That's a GREAT idea! Are the Silkies and new babies together now? if they are did they fuss about it? i was just curious since were getting some from MPC but my local feed store is getting some too and temptation is getting the best of me! LOL

Mama2B&D&...Chickens :

sO cooL! do you mind me asking where you got the cube's from? That's a GREAT idea! Are the Silkies and new babies together now? if they are did they fuss about it? i was just curious since were getting some from MPC but my local feed store is getting some too and temptation is getting the best of me! LOL

I got the cubes from target, I think bed bath and beyond sells them also..

Yes Ive got them both together now, when I first brought home the new ones they were a little woobley and I knew there was no way they could hold their own in there with the bigger ones, but by the next day they were doing much better so I thought I would try...

It seems to me introducing the silkies to the new ones in a new brooder confused them enough that they didnt pay the new ones much mind, they were to busy checking out the new place LOL​

I made a guinea pig cage with those....I wasnt even thinking of that as a brooder so I am glad you posted this!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom