1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One bird crippled... now another What is going on?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KristyHall, Jun 14, 2011.

1. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    about three or four weeks ago, one of the 1 and a half month old chicks was free ranging with teh others, and then started hobbling. then it started walking strait up right like a duck. it hobbles, it's legs pulled back so it walks strait up right with it's butt resting on the ground.

at first it held it's wings out as it did it but now it doesn't. the bird eats and drinks fine. It can fly up onto things, but it continues to walk oddly.

now, a 2 and half month old chick is doing the same thing. gradually at first , but now, doing the same hobbling upright walk with it's butt resting on the ground like a human walking in a crouching position

I have check the legs and they seem to be stiffly positioned into a backwards crouching position. It is very odd. I have never had this happen before.

does anyone know what it could be?

2. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    That's crazy!
    Slipped hock joint? Slipped hip joint? I'm going to ask some more experienced people to join this. Lets see what they come up with.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Are your birds vaccinated for mareks?

4. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Jean I was just going to PM you about this!

5. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    pips&peeps :

Are your birds vaccinated for mareks?

not this batch. what is mereks anyhow?​

6. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    oh that is scary. That makes sense though. a few months ago I slaughtered some roosters and one had little nodular on it's organs. I wasn't sure what caused these strange bumps on the organs so I discarded the bird rather than risk eating a diseased animal.

how ever, only two birds exhibit theses symptoms, a month apart, and the symptoms are exactly the same. healthy seeming, and active but sitting back on their rump as they walk.

7. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Sounds like Mareks, we lost 90% of one of our bantam flocks to it last year.

8. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Quote:once infected can they survive? The others seem to be doing fine , and the two affected seem to have stopped progressing

is there anything I can do? I have eggs in the incubator, and getting chicks in next month

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by