1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

one bird not roosting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jermoatc, Mar 22, 2011.

1. jermoatc

jermoatc Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Lake Crystal, MN
    I have one hen that has decided to stop roosting on the roosting bars and is instead sleeping in the nesting box. She is only 16 weeks old and not laying yet so I dont think she could be broody or could she? There is plenty of room for her on the roosting bars should I be concerned?

2. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Is she at the bottom of the pecking order? If so, sometimes, the hens push mine off... Just a possibility.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That would be my first thought. She's at the bottom of the pecking order and is being bullied on the roost, so seeks sanctuary in the nestbox.

4. jermoatc

Feb 5, 2011
    Lake Crystal, MN
    She is definitely at the bottom of the pecking order. I suspected that the other 6 may not be letting her up there but I suppose my question is is it detremental to her health to be on the ground?

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:No, but if you get really cold winters it would help her to roost and share body warmth. If she's using the same nestbox every day, you could just let her keep sleeping in it, but will have to clean the poop out every day so you don't have to deal with a bunch of dirty eggs.

6. CCourson05

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Nah. Just chicken instinct to be high. I would add another roost. A smaller one. The other chickens will go to their higher one and the other girl can ride solo on her roost. [​IMG]

7. jermoatc

Feb 5, 2011
    Lake Crystal, MN
    thanks all for your input. I appreciate it. this is a nice community.[​IMG]

8. CCourson05

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    No problem! It's what we are here for! And [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by