One breed or an assortment?

MsRae

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 6, 2014
Hi, Ms Rae here,

I'm wanting to get a nice little flock of good dual purpose chickens. I think if I start them pretty soon, they'll be ready to start laying next spring. Right? (The cockerels of course will be consumed. One rooster would be saved for breeding.)
My question is: Is it better to have just one breed, or to mix them up? I like the idea of using the Heritage Breeds, but am more interested in providing for my very large family.

Thanks for your help!

Hi, Ms Rae here,

I'm wanting to get a nice little flock of good dual purpose chickens. I think if I start them pretty soon, they'll be ready to start laying next spring. Right? (The cockerels of course will be consumed. One rooster would be saved for breeding.)
My question is: Is it better to have just one breed, or to mix them up? I like the idea of using the Heritage Breeds, but am more interested in providing for my very large family.

Thanks for your help!

That is really a matter of personal preference.
I like a nice mixed flock - right now we have GLW, SLW, BO, EE and Light Brahma - and there are few more I'd like to add.

Last edited:
I like a mixed flock because it adds interest and color to the yard! One thing you mentioned was providing for your family. Some breeds are more prolific egg layers than others, so you might study those and see what you like. I have RIR's and they lay 5-6 eggs per week. My EE lays 3-5 per week and my Buff Orphingtons lay 5-6 per week. I had Black Sex Links who would lay almost every day. They were smaller and thinner than the other birds, so I don't think they would have been good to eat. The others are all a nice size.

If they lay a lot, that usually lasts for around two years. When they reach that age, they slow down. They still lay, just not as much. So, around 2 years you need to start adding chicks and then culling what you don't want at that point. I am trying Buff Brahmas and Cochins this year. They are to add interest to the flock as they are not supposed to be good egg layers. I added another RIR and another EE too. The Brahmas are supposed to lay big eggs around 3-4 times per week. The cochins around 3 times per week - medium to small eggs. They would be due to start laying around Christmas time, so I will probably start getting some eggs in January IF I add extra light. I live in the Florida Panhandle, so we still get quite a bit of sunlight during the winter months. Mine hardly dropped off at all last winter. They only had light when it was super cold. We actually had a freak ice storm in January! The chickens hated it.

Back
Top Bottom