One broody hen and nobody's laying! Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Herscovitch, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Herscovitch

Herscovitch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2013
    Northern California
    I have a few issues that I have questions about.

We have 5 hens. They are 9 months old. They have been laying for 5 months or so.

1) we have had no eggs for over a week. They just stopped one day and have not layed a single egg since then. Is this normal for this time of year or what's up?

2) my RIR has become very broody. She stays in an egg box all day unless we lock her out. Today we locked all the hens out of the coop/run. They are grazing in the backyard and the RIR is getting chased and bullied by all the other chickens. She looks like a nervous wreck. Is this part of her broody behavior, becoming submissive. Could this be part of them all not laying?

Any suggestions to rectify these issues would be helpful.

Thanks,

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    It is normal this time of year. Last year I had a 3 1/2 week period where I got no eggs and you don't even want to know how many hens of laying age I had at the time.

Unfortunately, the only really tried and true method of breaking a broody is to let her hatch. Once chicks arrive she will transition from broody to Mama. If you don't have a rooster, perhaps you can place an ad on Craigslist and get some fertile eggs that way? She is probably nervous because she was locked out of the coop. Hormones are telling her she needs to be sitting on her nest and not having access to the nest is quite distressing for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by