1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One broody hen, others quit laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SEALLIN, Apr 10, 2011.

1. SEALLIN

SEALLIN Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2010
    St Louis, MO
    Hi there! I have a VERY broody hen! She was adament about hatching something...golf balls, rocks and I even caught her sitting on some gum-balls from my neighbors gum tree!
    I tried putting her in "time out" with no nesting box, I tried booting her out of the nest every time she went in...so finally, I gave in and she is now sitting on 5 hopfully fertile eggs. (One is for sure, I see the embryo be-bopping around when I candle it. SO COOL!)

Anyway, since she got eggs my other hen has quit laying. There are no obvious signs of moult, she appears healthy, good appetite, free choice oyster shell, poops are normal, no sign of mites/lice..... I've checked the coop and run for a hidden egg laying spot....and nothing.

Can one broody hen cause other hens to quit laying????

I also have a 9 month old *mutt* hen who has yet to lay a single egg.

Any thoughts on this???

thanks so much!
    Sara

2. SEALLIN

Aug 9, 2010
    St Louis, MO
    Update: I checked my non-laying barred rock hen to see if she was egg bound and does not appear to be. She does hoever have LOTS of same sized pin-feathers on her belly from neck to vent and even under her wings. So maybe she is molting? And toward the back half of her belly it's very red with less pin-feathers.
    She is still acting normal and has a good appetite and is drinking water.

thanks!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  3. SEALLIN

Aug 9, 2010
    St Louis, MO
    Still no eggs...any ideas?

4. Chicks_R_us

Chicks_R_us Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    It depends on how many nesting boxes you have. The one your broody is in could be the one they all lay in. Also, they could be getting in the same nest and still laying their eggs. Try to check under your broody to see if there is still only 5 eggs under her, but try not to disturb her to much.

5. SEALLIN

Aug 9, 2010
    St Louis, MO
    Thank you!
    I have 4 nesting boxes and 3 hens...I always thought that was more than enough. And I candled the eggs tonight and still only 5 eggs.

Thoughts??[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by