One building project after another-goat building?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Malbri, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Malbri

Malbri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    Bowdoin
    Well, I am really interested in getting goats. When my mom mentioned it we talked about converting the storage part of the coop into a goat area, but looking at it I really think they need a seperate thing. How fancy does it have to be? I live in Maine, so we get pretty cold winters, but how resistant to the cold are goats? For our horses we have just a simple 3 sided run in, would something like that work for goats?

2. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    yes a 3 sided type shelter would work great i would have the floor off the ground and put hay down and they will love it and be happy

3. Malbri

Jan 10, 2008
    Bowdoin
    What size would I be looking at for 2 goats. Im not sure yet if im looking for pygmy or regular sized goats, so what would be the size difference for housing? They would have full access to the 16x8 fully enclosed run with my chickens, but have a larger fenced in area during the day for when im home.

4. Malbri

Jan 10, 2008
    Bowdoin
    And hopefully ill have wood left over for a goat house

5. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Goats don't need a lot of fancyness. [​IMG] At least mine don't. We have a building in the pasture that used to be a chicken coop but we tore one side down. So now it's a three sided run in and they love it. It's pretty deep so they can go in if they want to get away from the elements.... But they usually hang out in the pasture, unless it gets really hot or cold. Or rainy, actually *lol*.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by