one bully for a tom turkey and four other chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by saylorfamily, Nov 11, 2014.

1. saylorfamily

saylorfamily New Egg

Nov 11, 2014
    Okay so I'm new to this site an all but I need a little help.[​IMG]

I have a chicken that is bullying all my other four chicken and my turkey. She is actually a newer chicken to our flock but we got her two years ago. They all have been fine since a few minutes ago. My Leghorn and my Rhode island red + Barred Plymouth cross just randomly started fighting. They are free range and they are always in my gardens. My cross breed is alot fatter then the others i noticed too. I tried separating them with food but they went at each other again but fiercer. Now I have my Leghorn in my house since she is bleeding and my cross is isolating herself from everyone else. What do I do? I know none of them are sick since we give them stuff to prevent it. Why would they start randomly fighting?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sorry about your bird. It is odd that all of a sudden they should start fighting. But you never know what is going on inside the head of a chicken. The flock can sense when a bird is sick. And sick birds can turn aggressive as well. I would give everybody a good overall exam. Worm them if you haven't done so in a while.

For now, I would get this bird healed up well. But if she can go back out to the flock, do so, so you can easily put her back into the flock without weeks of quarantine.

What I would do in this case is first try caging or giving the bully complete isolation for a few weeks. Keep her somewhere out of sight of the flock for a while if you can. This can reset the bully.

If this doesn't work or you can't do this, you can try pinless peepers on the bully. I have a hen that was absolutely brutal with the other hens when she was young, ripping combs and terrorizing even my self.

[​IMG]

These are left on for a month or more and used when ever the bird is just off the hook. This is not a cure all for all birds. This never adjusted her attitude, however age has and she no longer needs them. I have used these on other birds and they changed real quick not liking to wear these at all.

Good luck with your bird. I hope you can get some peace in your flock soon.

2 people like this.
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

TwoCrows has given you some good advice.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Also, make sure they have enough room too. Cramped up birds argue. Add a few extra feeding and watering stations as well. Sometimes just feeling like there might not be enough food around can cause birds to go off on each other.

5. saylorfamily

saylorfamily New Egg

Nov 11, 2014
    thank you so much

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You've gotten some good advice, good luck with your birds.

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help

8. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you have joined us. You have been given good answers already. But one other idea‚Ķin my small flock of 6 hens, when one is broody, the change in hormones or appearance also causes conflict, not as aggressive as you describe, but is disturbing. Good luck figuring it out and getting them to live together without fights.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

You've received some good advice already. Good luck with your flock!

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Due to age or health etc. the pecking order may have changed and this could be the result.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by