One bully Many victims What do I do

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken Boy 09, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Chicken Boy 09

Chicken Boy 09 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    my 5.5 month old black sex link ins pecking most of the other hens to the no skin and bleeding point.
    Can anyone help me with this problem?[​IMG] i've been at this chicken project (just raising chicks) since may1 2011. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2011
  2. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Maybe you could get some antipecking spray, i know it worked with one of my friends chickens.. You spay it on your flock thats getting bullied... Good luck.[​IMG]

3. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    [​IMG] I would separate her if you can and treat the wounds of the injured birds and let them heal before trying to reintroduce her. if she's really nasty to them you should consider culling her. is she getting enough protein and have enough space?

4. Chicken Boy 09

Jun 28, 2011
    Enough space and i am working on the protien issue and thanks for the advice

5. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    In addition to being sure they have enough protein and space, I would put her in a time-out. Place her in a dog crate or something similar with her own food and water so she can view the other chickens. I would leave her in there for a few hours, and if she's nasty when you let her out, keep her in there for a day the next time. The idea is that by the time she's placed back into the flock, she'll be knocked down a peg or two in the pecking order.

I would also try to give the victims some place to get away, whether it's an extra roost or a lawn chair. Just something where they can get out of her reach to get some relief.

6. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    I had this same problem at that same age right before the bad girl started to lay. I put her in timeout for 3 days in a cage inside the coop. It worked, she layed the next day and things were back to good with everyone. Consider it chicken PMS and being the boss. Put her in timeout for at least 2 days I have read. A few hours wont make a difference since you have to give your flock time to reestablish their new pecking order

7. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Another thing to do, while she is in time out............if you can re-arrange your coop. Move the roosting rails and nest boxes around. Change up the run a bit also. You can also add things - like a large pot of dirt, a flake of hay, a kitty litter pan full of sand.

Do this before putting her back in - and it will be like "new" territory to her.

8. Chicken Boy 09

Jun 28, 2011
    ill try the dog crate idea and see if it works and if so ill go from there thanks to the responders for the advice!!!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by