One Button Quail Chasing the Other

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Dovetail, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Dovetail

Dovetail Hatching

Jan 11, 2019
    Hello,

Have had three button quail (they are about three months old) for two weeks. One is male, one is female, and the other (the white one) is supposedly female. (The breeder was not sure; she has decades of experience breeding chickens and quail, but still wasn't sure since the quail in question is white. She was pretty positive that the white quail was female, though.) So far, the quail have been doing fine.

However, this morning, the male has been chasing the white supposed-female around the cage. The white one has been running away. The male has not been chasing the other female. The male chases the white one, chirps at her, and seems to even peck her. We separated them for now.

What's going on?? I am afraid that the male will hurt her. Or, is he trying to breed with her? Or is the white one probably a male? Any ideas, please let me know. I've been reading about button quail care, but have not read much (or found much) on their behavior.

2. fire370

fire370 Songster

May 9, 2015
    SC Kansas
    More than likely chasing the odd color.

3. Dovetail

Dovetail Hatching

Jan 11, 2019
    Interesting! So it's ok to leave them together?

Thanks for your reply.

4. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    Button quail should be kept only in pairs. Trios occasionally work, but clearly this one isn't. He's probably chosen the other one as his mate and he's trying to get rid of the white one. You'll want to take her out.

Dovetail and Crazydoglady99 like this.
  5. Dovetail

Dovetail Hatching

Jan 11, 2019
    Dad gomit. Looks like I am going to need a male for the female who is by herself--that can't be a good thing. Thank you.

6. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    You could probably also keep her with another female. M/F and F/F button pairs tend to do fine, M/M not so much.

Dovetail likes this.
  7. Dovetail

Dovetail Hatching

Jan 11, 2019
    Gotcha. We're frantically looking for a male right now....

8. Quincy Buttons

Quincy Buttons In the Brooder

Feb 25, 2018
    Hey Dovetail! If you live in California around the bay area, I may be able to supply you one! I've been looking to re-home my male buttons since my female passed away. I can help with you with other button quail drama and even give you some supplies if you are able to accept :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: