1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

one chick acting strange...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Raptorturtle, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Raptorturtle

Raptorturtle Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    Georgia
    Hello all, I just got my first chicks today, from Meyer Hatchery. I ordered 6, and got 7. One of them is acting differently from the others; she's standing still, with her head on the ground, not really moving around. Her right wing kind of droops a little lower than her left. She eats food when she's put on top of it, and she drinks when she stumbles to the waterer. The other 6 are walking around, cheeping like mad, eating and drinking like fatties. Is my odd chick just sleepy? Or should I not name her for a few days and wait and see if she makes it?

2. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    She might just be stressed. I would just keep an eye on her for a few days and see how she does.

3. Raptorturtle

Raptorturtle Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    Georgia
    I think she's getting better. It's getting harder to tell her apart from the other 2 RIRs. She still drags her wing a little and stares at nothing for long periods of time, but she's eating like a pig and chasing the nervous PRs. I hope she stays well, because her walk earned her a name despite myself. She just looks like an Igor!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by