One chick all alone now

ChickChick55

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 19, 2012
UK - Wales
We had two chicks 14 weeks old now. One died, dont know why. Will the surviving chick be ok for two weeks until we can make sure its not sick before being rehomed. Will it be incredibly lonely.

Flock animals do get very lonely when alone. I never recommend getting less than 3 for the reason that chickens die more frequently than dogs. For the time being you can put a mirror in with the chicken and spend as much time interacting with it as possible.

Loneliness will be all right till maturity ... But when they get mature , they need a mate of opposite gender ..
And putting a mirror with it would be a very bad idea as it will peck it often ! :)

Loneliness will be all right till maturity ... But when they get mature , they need a mate of opposite gender ..
And putting a mirror with it would be a very bad idea as it will peck it often ! :)
Oh. Quite conflicting opinions. I dont have much choice at the moment as i would hate to pass it to someone and it affects their flock. I just feel bad as it is alone. I may ask the new home if they can segregate it away from their flock but in sight of the flock which is what will have to be done anyway. Thanks for replying.

Last edited:
I've used mirrors with lone chicks and lone ducks. Never had any problem with it at all. It gives them something to interact with and makes them feel less alone.

People put mirrors in with chicks all the time. An older chick is stronger but unless it's a wimpy mirror, a chicken peck shouldn't be able to break it.
I agree. I have a mirror in with mine. Not sure why as she pays it little attention and prefers to be out with us. Many experienced chicken raisers recommend this for lone chicks.

Also, a male is not a necessity to have happy chickens. Many people raise hens for their eggs but live in rooster restricted zones. They have perfectly happy girls. I'm new at this chicken thing, but I know a few things.
smile.png

Oh. Quite conflicting opinions. I dont have much choice at the moment as i would hate to pass it to someone and it affects their flock. I just feel bad as it is alone. I may ask the new home if they can segregate it away from their flock but in sight of the flock which is what will have to be done anyway. Thanks for replying.It'
It's always a good idea for the buyer to keep any new chickens segregated from their flock for a certain amount of time to be positive themselves that there is nothing going on with the health of the chicken.

Back
Top Bottom