One chick burrowing the other stands 'over' her.

HelenaP

Hatching
Apr 11, 2017
Conshohocken Pa
Is it possible I have a rooster? Or is it maybe that one breed likes to burrow more than the other? The Red Star is mellow and stands over the White Rock when she borrows. They're about 4 weeks old and I bring them outside in a covered pen so they can have some fresh air etc. The White Rock is noisier and 'needier'- she overreacts when I pick her up, gets loud when she's not with the Red Star. The Red Star is super mellow. Both enjoy roosting on my shoulder.:). Also- our dogs are super interested in them- not sure if it's just to get to know them or eat them? A beagle and a black lab.

This is brooding behaviour,even grown hens dot this.Its a way of cuddling ,or she could be scared and is hiding under the other one.I know when my hens are dustbathing and another hen begins pecking at one another to move the weaker one starts tucking her head under the other laying down hens.

It's not clear from your post where the chicks are burrowing and what are they burrowing in? It could be they are dirt bathing.

If they are rolling around in the dirt, and one is standing over the one rolling around, maybe sliding her beak across the other's back, that's a social activity. They love to get down in the dirt together. It's an activity both sexes enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom