one chick causing trouble!??? HELP

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wannahavehens, May 16, 2008.

1. wannahavehens

wannahavehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Hemlock, New York
    I just got my first chicks - 2 Arucanas and 2 Barred Rocks. 2 Buff Orpingtons coming tomorrow. One of the Arucanas started pecking the others and driving them (and me) crazy! They are in a large, clear tupperware container. The temperature seems fine - they are not huddled anywhere and moving around exploring and eating and drinking okay. HELP!!! I was so excited to get them and now - I'm so bummed! Any ideas?

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  2. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    I had a "problem" chick.... and it was a bantam. Picking on the big chicks. One chick had a bit of a bloody wing, so I know why she picked on her. What I did was put the "problem child" is a space of her own. So she could see the other chicks, but couldn't get at them. She was in there for 2 days and when I put her back in she was fine...
    Let me know what you do!

3. wannahavehens

Mar 10, 2008
    Hemlock, New York
    I did put a little screen in the brooder to separate her from the others - she's peeping so loudly, has been for 45 minutes now. WOW - she just won't let up. Thanks for the idea - I'll see what happens.

4. pattee

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Yea that's how mine was... Peeping and walking back and forth like a "caged" animal LOL Oh yea she was!
    I did put one chick in with her the next day and they got a long well... so I guess you just need to keep trying~

5. wannahavehens

Mar 10, 2008
    Hemlock, New York
    Thank you so much! I feel like I'm going to do something wrong and am so nervous. The poor thing - that's it exactly - reminds me of a lion in a cage. She sure makes a lot of noise for such a little thing.

6. pattee

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    I know It made me feel so bad and yet I didn't want to make the others suffer. It was hard for me also.

This is my first time owning chicks so I was "hmmm is this normal?" Well of course it's not so in another space she went. My chicks are 2 and a half weeks old and all are seemingly doing well with one another. Even the "problem" baby.

Is this your first time with chicks? How many do you have? I have 10.

7. wannahavehens

Mar 10, 2008
    Hemlock, New York
    I was supposed to get 8, but something happened with the order so i just got the 4. I should get 2 more today and the other 2 next week. My first time too. I'm in the process of setting up a second brooder. The problem chick is still squawking! It took a break around 3 in the morning, but right back to it. Looks like i may have to keep it separate for a while. I'm wondering if the place where i got them will take this one back...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by