One chick dead and another not well advice needed please!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Emmet Mcknight, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Emmet Mcknight

Emmet Mcknight Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2014
    Derry, Ireland
    Hatched 5 Pekin/cochin bantams on Tuesday/Wednesday, put them in brooder on Thursday with 2 other one week old silkie bantams, I'm using a heat plate that I used for my previous hatch of 7, they were all underneath the heat and seemed happy, I cant be sure that the 5 were eating and drinking, they all look the same so its hard to know who was coming out and eating/drinking! Friday night I found one chick out from under the heat and looking very limp, I give it some water from a syringe and put in in the incubator again, it died a few hours later.

Today I found another in the same manner, I had to hold its beak open and gave it some sugar water from a syringe and put it in the incubator, it came around pretty quick and is back on its feet but quite weak, it has its eyes closed most of the time, I have been giving it sugar water since, that was 5 hours ago. I have now put it in another brooder with its 3 remaining siblings, they are eating and drinking but it just sits there with its eyes closed. Brooder is constant 90, that's as high as I can get it, I just made it up using another incubator and storage box.

I just watched it poop and it was more or less clear water with a little bit of solid.

What should I try and give this little guy? Was thinking raw egg yolk? I cant get any vitamin drops as every where is closed now.

2. MisfitMarie

MisfitMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Someone once told me that watery poos could mean that the chicks are too hot. I could be wrong, I'll have to look into it now... but I remember pulling the heat lamp further back, and the watery poos stopped.

Are you sure that all of the chicks know where to get water? I might double check each one by dipping its beak gently back into the water bowl.

Are you keeping a thermometer inside the brooder?

I would first make sure the little chick is hydrated. You can feed it drops of water, two or three at a time, off the end of a Q-Tip.

I've always cooked the egg yolks that I feed chicks, so I'm of no use there... I suppose raw egg yolk could work? I've always cooked it to be safe.

3. Emmet Mcknight

Emmet Mcknight Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2014
    Derry, Ireland
    This one has since died, I really don't know what happened to the two, I'm wondering if it could have been some underlying health issue, the other 3 seem fine so fingers crossed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by