One chick dead, do I leave it?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by clairabean, Jan 21, 2011.

1. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    I know, I know, sit on my hands. First pip is has not done anything for almost 20 hours- managed to get his beak out, then nothing. Same position still. I can not see in the pip, just what looks like a small beak sticking out. Second pip is almost all the way out.

Do I leave the dead chick in? [​IMG] Any chance it is not dead.....?

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    What ever you do ...do not open the bator while another egg is pipping! It will dry it out and shrink wrap the chick inside so then you will loose it too!

3. clairabean

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

It might not be dead... on my last hatch, my first egg to pip was like that with its' beak just slightly out for about 18 hours... Then all at once.. POOF Chicken!

5. bel

bel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    East bay
    I agree, there is still the chance you will come back in later and see 2 chicks. I had one pip a day early and next morning it and 2 others were out and more were on the way.

6. clairabean

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    18 hours and she was ok? Wow, ok. That gives me hope![​IMG]

7. jmagill

jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    Mine are ranging 12 -20 hours from pip to hatch. Sometimes more than 24 hours. It is not the norm but it happens often enough.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  8. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    I had a chick that I and my wife swore up and down was dead. I decided to leave it until they were all done......

I kid you not, a few minutes later.......Dead looking Chicky had been re-incarnated. [​IMG] The shell actually "popped" when it came out. [​IMG]

That would be the little Black chicken that is now going on three weeks old. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  9. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

10. Carli

Carli Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    Ohhhhhh, I sure hope you get two! It's killing me waiting on our others to hatch out. They're already two days late but one did finally hatch a few hours ago. Hoping with you!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by