One Chick has hatched and rolling the other eggs around

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cgmccary, Mar 22, 2008.

1. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    I'm on Day 21 and I've had 1 to hatch and 3 more are pipped out of total of 14. I think it is going to be one of those long hatches (hoping anyway).

The one chick that has hatched is wrecking havoc rolling some eggs all the way to the side-- and turned my hygrometer upside down so it can't be read.

I do not have mine in a carton (might try that on the next round)-- I don't want to open and remove the 1 to the brooder . . . don't usually do it . . . what do ya'll do if one is causing lots of havoc?

Chris

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I have come to believe that having one chirping and pushing the other eggs around gives they others incentives to get cracking. [​IMG] I have even seen chicks helping the others get out by pecking at the eggs.
    I would not use a egg carton when the start hatching because it could cause the chicks to stumble and hurt their legs.
    Good luck with the rest.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    It's prefectly normal for the hatched chick to push around the other pipped eggs...Mine have always hatched, no problems........

4. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    Just let them be and don't worry about it. The chicks typically bowl all the others around and it doesn't cause a problem. I have hatched some batches in cartons before as well and had no problems with that way either. I do think that the activity of the other chicks does help to spur on the others as well.

Richard

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by