1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One chick has very tiny wings? is this normal? (and a breed question)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cait8876, May 19, 2016.

1. cait8876

cait8876 Just Hatched

May 19, 2016
    Hello! New chick mom here [​IMG]

We bought 8 chicks from tractor supply about 3 weeks ago. Now that they're (rapidly) growing I notice our one black australorp chick's wings are like a quarter the size of all the others. Is this normal?

Also my fiancé really wanted one of the odd ball chicks still available at tractor supply and the woman working didnt know what breed it is. It's such pretty coloring, wonder if any one has any ideas what it may be?

first pic is my tiny winged friend, the other two are my mystery bird. But both make appearances in each pic [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I'd suggest posting your pics and questions on the What Breed or Gender is This? forum - there are some very knowledgeable peeps that i am sure will be able to help you out.

all the best
    CT

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    All chicks do not grow at the same pace. Males tend to be slower in feathering out and development. If the chick eats, drinks and runs around like the others, assume he/she is healthy.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by