One chick hatched on day 20; now it's day 22 and no more excitement...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FancyGantz, Jul 2, 2011.

1. FancyGantz

FancyGantz New Egg

Jul 2, 2011
    When our first chick hatched out on day 20 (Thursday) I could hear peeps and pecks from inside three other eggs. I thought they would be out by the next day. Now it's day 22 (Saturday) and I can't hear anything from those eggs. Do you think they died inside their eggs, or am I being impatient? I guess my question is, can it take more than 22 days to get a hatchling? All of the fertile eggs were put under her at the same time, 22 days ago. Thanks!

2. chickens friend

chickens friend Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2009
    Southwest virginia
    If the temp was too low it may take a few more days for the eggs to hatch, I have had some that hatched on day 27. I regret to say that probably those eggs that you heard peeping and then stopped probably died but I would leave them alone until day 27 or when the hen leaves them and takes her chick out of the nest which ever comes first. If they don't hatch after the given time take the eggs and break them open and see if you can tell what happened, most of the time the chick is too weak to break out of the shell and dies of suffocation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by