One chick hatched, Q regarding an external pip

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by huntersmoon, Sep 29, 2010.

1. huntersmoon

huntersmoon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2008
    Our first chick hatched this morning and we have 3 more eggs with external pips. One I have a question about. In the opening, which is about 4mm across, I see the black feathers of the chick. But the egg is not moving even when the hatched chick pecks at it. It was wiggling earlier and the hole became enlarged within the last few hours. Would it be normal for a chick to be resting and not move when jostled, or should I assume the chick died?

Also, big sister keeps pecking at the thermometer and the styrofoam! She stops when I say "Hey!" but I'm wondering can this hurt her?

[​IMG]

Thanks
    Shannon

2. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have had chicks do that too... they have pipped and made a larger hole then just kind of stop. But in my experience they are just taking a break and will get back to work later, one took about 12 hours to finish the job. Now do keep in mind that I am not supper experienced in hatching I have hatched 6 hatches this year and 3 last year.

I have had some chicks that peck at the styrofoam and thermometer, it never hurt them. I even had one that would stretch up and peck the heating element. [​IMG]

3. huntersmoon

Apr 26, 2008
    It's been 24 hours, should I still leave the egg alone? My husband keeps asking if we shouldn't expand the hole a bit and see if the chick moves?

Thanks
    Shannon

4. huntersmoon

Apr 26, 2008
    I followed the directions and took the incubator into the bathroom with the shower running and removed the three live chicks and the one pipped egg. While I was in there I candled the other 4 eggs. Two look clear and two are dark but have large air cells so I don't know if they are viable. I will leave them in there a while longer. The pipped egg I removed and took off the shell, and the chick was dead. It looked fully formed but the yolk was full. The area of the shell that had pipped was along its back and the membrane was still wet and soft and sealed around the chick. When the back poked through, from the outside we could see some clear liquid ooze out and hardened like resin. I don't know what happened with the chick.

Thanks
    Shannon

5. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    Quote:you should be able to see if it's breathing just by looking at the whole it's made now....some chicks just take longer. if you open the hole too much too soon, they can get shrink wrapped...which is no good.

I'd just make sure it's breathing...if it is, and it's not real wet looking in the egg, then I'd leave it be. but that's JMO.

has it pipped through the membrane inside too? not just the shell? if it's not pipped through the inner membrane, then you might wanna get that started for them...since they can drown if they can't get their beaks out for air.

whatever you do...hope it works and we get to see pics of the little fuzzie [​IMG]

6. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    Quote:sorry....i was responding while you posted this.......sooooo sorry for your loss [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by