one chick hatched! still has cord attached tho

mandymoo

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 3, 2013
North Yorkshire, UK
wee.gif
yaay! just had my first chick hatch about an hour ago. he/she keeps trying to stand up, but is still attached to half the egg shell by her umbilical cord...egg shell looks clean though, and there's no sign of any yolk...is this normal, that she'll still be attached? will it just fall off when she's dried off a bit?

i'm going to force myself to take the dogs for a walk so i'm not hovering over her, and let her rest!

i'm just so glad i hadn't done anything wrong!

got 2 other eggs pipped, but still tiny holes...been like that since 8am, and no further movement from them yet

god knows how i'll sleep tonight lol i'll want to be watching over them all!

Congrats! Don't worry about the cord, it happens sometime that the chick hatches with it still attached. Don't touch it or try to cut it. It will either break or detach by itself after awhile. I hope the others will hatch soon for you!

Last edited:
thanks sumi...i'm leaving well alone, don't worry!

she keeps nodding off, waking for a few seconds,dragging half a shell round with her, then nodding back off again lol!

since i posted, i can see the cord getting thinner, so it DOES look like it'll just dry up and shrivel off
smile.png

nothing else happening with the other 2 pipped eggs yet, but from what i've read, it can take them 24 hrs so i'm trying to stay calm!

Back
Top Bottom