One chick indoors?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by raylayvay, Mar 21, 2015.

1. raylayvay

raylayvay New Egg

Mar 20, 2015
    Hello! I have a 3 day old chick that I am raising on his own in the house. He was born with crooked neck so I adopted him from a project in case he would get pecked to death! His brooder is a desk lamp with a red heat light, and shredded paper as bedding in cardboard. If he is alone, are there any health concerns as far as having him in our living space? He's staying in with me just until I can see if poly vi sol will help his neck...then he can find a home with some friends!

2. newmarch2014

newmarch2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2014
    They don't do well alone so a mirror and a stuffed animal may help. Good luck nursing it to health!

3. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Be sure to wash your hands before and after touching the chick or any of its fixtures , dispose of poop and bedding outdoors in a garbage can (ideally in a trash bag) or on a compost pile. No different than what you'd do for any other pet. Good luck!

And be careful with the desk lamp so you don't start a fire. Indoors you most likely need only a 75w regular light bulb to reach 95 degrees underneath. Be sure the desk lamp is rated for the wattage.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by