One Chick Irregularly Lethargic compared to others

Pegaret

Hatching
Jul 31, 2020
My family got 4 baby chicks 2 weeks ago. (They hatched on Thursday July 23rd, and we brought them home the next day.) About a week ago, one chick (her name is Pegaret, same as my username) seemed to be sleeping more often than the others and not eating as much. Pegaret hasn't been growing as fast as the others (I'm assuming as a result of eating less). She'll go through phases of being sleepy, even hiding behind the water feeder, presumably to get some peace and quiet. The other chicks will run right over Pegaret if she's sleepy and they're not. She does have active and energetic periods though, and will behave just like her sisters during those times. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with her other than being extra sleepy and growing slower. Sometimes she'll be sitting quietly and eating, even though all the others are standing and scratching while they eat.
We know about pasty butt, one of her sisters had it, but Pegaret has been totally fine. We've been checking the chicks' vents a minimum of once every day and they've always been clear aside from the one time.
It seems like every time I start getting worried about this one little chick, she peps right up and runs around eating and drinking and playing, and every time I think Pegaret is fine now, she goes back to being sleepy and withdrawn. Developmentally, she seems to be a couple days behind her sisters. This morning, she was kind of listing to the side as she tried to nap while her sisters ran around. I wanted to get a picture, but she's behaving active and normal right now, so it looks like nothing's wrong with her. (I can try to get a picture to add later.)
Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

It's possible she's younger than the rest, have you checked her crop at night (full) and then again in the morning (empty)? Sometimes chicks will stand, fall asleep and fall over. I'm thinking she's ok but pictures of her and sibling would help. It's also possible she's a he or the "runt" of the clutch.

Back
Top Bottom