One chick is 1/3 size of others

CarolJ

Dogwood Trace Farm
8 Years
Jun 3, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I have a group of 3 1/2 week old chicks. They all started out approximately the same size. One chick is now at least 1/3 the size of the others. I've watched, and the chick is eating and drinking and moving around - isn't intimidated by the larger chicks. I've got a variety of breeds in the mix, and I'm not sure which one this particular chick is since I don't have them marked. It is either the one Swedish Flower Hen, an EE or an araucana. It could be an araucana because it has just a tiny tail. It's not totally rumpless - but close, However, the other araucana in the group is one of the largest in the group. Is it likely just a slow grower, or did a bantam possibly get into the mix somehow? Or maybe Swedish Flower Hens are very small? Any ideas?

I figure the answers will come as the chicks grow and completely feather out. I was just curious if anyone had any insight into it at this point. Thanks.

Last edited:
I recently got some chicks from Meyer Hatchery. One of the Speckled Sussex, a male, is about 1/3 the size of the others, including the other Speckled Sussex. They are now about 13 weeeks old. I figure he is just a runt. This can happen occasionally with animals, but since I don't have any control over the parents, I really don't know what happened. I just know he won't be allowed to breed.

I have hatched out several runts. Some have grown up to be normal size and some grew up but were a little smaller.

I have one just like that in a batch of chicks I hatched on December 6th. They are all Cochin bantams, some splash and some millie fleur. They're really growing nicely, feathering out very well, but one little chick is still tiny, with a fuzzy body and some wing feathers. It's a darling chick though, active, and just like yours, not intimidated by the larger chick.

I'm not worried in the least bit, I'll just see if one day the little chick catches up with the others, or not. I'll keep it either way. I do think it's probably a little rooster though......I've had a few chicks that were slow to grow and feather out, and they all turn out to be roosters.....

I plan on keeping this little guy. Looking forward to figuring out what breed it is. I'm not worried about it - just curious. He/she just looks so TINY next to all the others. Thanks for the replies!
thumbsup.gif

In our assorted flock of 8 one of the Yokohamas always seemed
about a third the size of the largest ones.
I worried about little Paulette.

She's still small but at 7 1/2 months she's healthy
and laying every couple of days though hers is not a laying breed.

Just as a follow-up: When I checked the brooder this morning, the little chick was dead. No indication of why - but my guess is that there was something internally wrong, and that's why it didn't grow like the other chicks. Nature has a way of taking care of things - survival of the fittest and all that.

Back
Top Bottom