One Chick is Left Out?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickenFanatic447, Aug 4, 2011.

1. ChickenFanatic447

ChickenFanatic447 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Oregon
    When I take my chicks outside in the sun to sit around in the grass the other chicks always travel in a group, but for some reason my one Welsummer never seems to leave my side or move at all from where I place her. Should I be concerned? She isn't foraging or developing some skills that I think the other ones are by sticking together and exploring the yard. I'm just worried about my babies, this is my first time raising chickens so if this sounds silly then please refrain from any rude answers.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I wouldn't worry too much. Personalities differ a lot even among birds of the same breed, so some are more comfortable being on their own than others.

3. ChickenFanatic447

Jul 30, 2011
    Oregon
    Oh okay, I was just worried, thank you.

4. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

I have 3 timid EEs in my most recent hatch. They have barely left the coop in the 3 weeks since the door has been opened and they have the option. And if they do leave the coop, they haven't ventured more than 10 feet OR out into the open. Nervous nellies! The other 9 young ones are tearing all over the place!

5. 5parrots&zoo

5parrots&zoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Maybe she is at the bottom of the pecking order? My little Ameracauna is that one of my little group, and she is more stand-offish from the rest of the girls. The 5 other girls stick together, and Sunflower tends to stick much closer to me whenever I go into the chicken yard. Because of that, she is my favorite.

6. ChickenFanatic447

Jul 30, 2011
    Oregon
    Hmm.. Okay, thank you guys. It is nice to know nothing is wrong with her, I get worried easily with these kinds of things.

Now, one more question. How should I go about befriending the other chicks? All of them, but my Ameraucana and Welsummer are pretty much terrified of me at this point, my Cuckoo Maran when I let them in the grass and try gathering them up at night to put back in the brooder will even run under the fence to get away from me (getting these spots fixed, we just replaced the fence). It is upsetting that they all act like this, I know it is natural behavior, but none of them will even eat their favourite treats from my hand.

7. BarnGoddess01

Quote:I sit outside on an upside down bucket or even on the ground so they can climb all over me, with treats near where they like to hang out. (Key is, you need to get low and small - more on their level.) You sit still and let them come to you. It might take some time but they should come around. Maybe just one at first but they'll get the hang of it. Patience is the key. Don't push them. I firmly believe that nervousness/cautiousness is a good thing in chickens. There is lots in the world that IS out to get them. You just need to prove to them that you aren't one of them.

8. ChickenFanatic447

Jul 30, 2011
    Oregon
    She must've been sick and the others knew it because Hazel just died..

R.I.P ...

9. BarnGoddess01

Sorry to hear about Hazel! [​IMG]

10. ChickenFanatic447

Jul 30, 2011
    Oregon
    It's fine, I'm glad she died peacefully.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by