One Chick is not full feathered, can I still put it outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bantam Username, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    I have 3 dutch bantam chicks and they are 4 and a bit weeks old, 2 of them are now fully feathered and I was going to move them out to a halfway house, sheltered and with the electric hen turned on at night. Its getting cold here at night. But 1 of the 3 is half the size of the other two and still has chick fluff on its head and centre of chest, can it go out with the others or should I hold them all in for another few weeks? [​IMG]

2. Tilly's Nest

Tilly's Nest Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Cape Cod
    I would keep them inside until 6 weeks. Then they should be able to transition without any problems.

3. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:Mine are outside and have fluff on chest and head:)

4. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    and doing fine:) and i live in MI

5. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    Ours were outside at three days old in a dog crate with a blanket on the top and one side to break the wind a bit. We left them well into the night at 50*. Your birds will be just fine out there. The sooner the better, auxiliary heat sources only delay feathering. The birds react and adapt to their environment. Cold, they make a coat. Hot, they take it off. I wish I could do that for fat...

6. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Tilly's Nest :

I would keep them inside until 6 weeks. Then they should be able to transition without any problems.

X2. Yep we are in October and the nights get in the 30*s and they need to have the feathers. A month ago with 10* higher temps yes but not now its cold at night and in the mornings. Others may disagree but normally they have a mom to run under or to or have a full group of siblings to bundle up with and you have the light. Just make sure they have enough room to get out from the heat to or raise it a bit.​

7. Bantam Username

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    The electric hen is already raised up and I turn it off in the day, they have plenty of room to get away from it, I gave them the perch from the coop today too, as it is free standing but slots into the coop when used in there. I just thought it might help to give them a part of it so it will be something familiar to them when they move outside. They are loving their new perch and will all fit on it together. [​IMG]
    I might just give them another week then move them straight into the baby coop which is insulated and small anyway so they shouldn't get too cold. It only fits 2 to 3 adult bantams of the smaller breeds anyway and has no nest boxes.
    When I move them out should I put straw in on top of the pine shavings to keep them that bit warmer? [​IMG]

8. Bantam Username

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Ah well, my electric hen gave up yesterday. The chicks were chirping like mad so I checked it and although the light was on, it was stone cold. I went to take the plug out thinking that maybe if I unplugged it then plugged it back in, it might work, and the plug fell apart in my hand so bye bye electric hen. They are none too happy but at nearly 5 weeks old they should be ok. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by